This is a question that ALWAYS comes up when I am dealing with customers and it is an important decision.
Different roofing materials and your particular situation will ultimately help make that decision for you, but here are a few questions to ask yourself when making that roofing call.
First of all, what type of roof do you have and what is the age of your roof compared with its expected lifespan?
Not sure of the lifespan? Here is a general guideline for popular roofing surfaces:
• Asphalt Shingles: This is the most common of residential roofing material and they last around 20 years.
• Natural Slate: Found frequently on historical buildings. These can easily reach 100 years or more.
• Synthetic Slate: A relatively new material that gives the appearance of natural slate. It is a mixture of plastic and rubber and can last 50 or more years.
• Cedar Shingles or Shakes: More costly but beautiful, these have a limited lifespan of perhaps 25 years. Cedar Shingles can add significant value to the right home because they look so good.
• Synthetic Cedar Shingles: Creates a faux look of the real thing but with a longer lifespan. 50 years or more can be expected.
• Metal: Gaining in popularity, today’s modern metal roofs can be expected to last at least 50 years.
OK so now you hopefully have an idea as to how much life is technically anticipated for your roof. Here are a few other signs to watch for besides life expectancy of materials to determine if it is repair or replace time:
If you are experiencing a first, or even second leak in your roof
Recent high winds have caused minor visual damage
If you see water spots on the ceiling
If there is a leak after a rain that is limited to a common certain area
When you can see an area where a shingle or a few shingles are missing
Your financial situation says that a repair over replacement is in the budget
If the most recent leak is just one of many
If you lose shingles or roofing materials after high winds
If you are seeing water stains on ceiling tiles in multiple areas or rooms
If the leaks seem to be over a large area
If shingles have curling corners and don’t seem to be lying flat
If roofing materials appear to be chipped, cracked or have pieces broken off
If you want to add value to your home as well as curb appeal
If you are experiencing issues with your roof, at Class Eh! Roofing, we can help. We are a trusted name in niagara for roofing and can assist in everything from minor repairs to a complete tear off and re-roof with different materials.
Please contact us and we would be happy to assist you with all your questions and concerns…around the clock!
PHONE: (289) 687-6924
Wayne Jeffreys is a native of Niagara-On-The-Lake and owner of Niagara based roofing company Class Eh Roofing!